Friday, November 20, 2009

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA (bottle)

This was awarded the #1 IPA of the Year at the 2009 Great American Beer Festival.  Let's see how it tastes compared to a previous winner: Pliny the Elder.

Smells of Hops.
A nice, crystal-clear bronze color.
A lacey head.

That's some hops.

I don't know if I think this is the best IPA I've ever had.  I understand this beer's supposed to have a lot of hops and, at 7.5 percent alcohol, it acheives its goal.  However, the hop flavor isn't as pronounced as I would like.  It has too clean of a start, not enough pine/lemon flavor.  Then, there's a big hop bitterness at the end.

When it warms up, it gets more malty.  This helps cut the bitterness at the end.

By any means, it's not a bad beer.  But, I wouldn't say it's the best IPA.  Compared to something like Pliny, which I think has a great balance of hop flavor and bitterness, Union Jack doesn't come off as the most balanced.

Overall, a pint and 1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment